Saturday, May 23, 2009

Test first!

I just wanted to give readers an update on my earlier post on using my homemade polish/release agent consisting of castor oil and alcohol.
While I have used this myself and have gotten reports from others as well, below is a report from a trusted source that reveals that it doesn't work for all molding compunds:

Here is their experience:

1 part castor oil and 5 parts alcohol does retard/destroy the surface of one of my favorite platinum based RTV silicones. Smooth-On Rebound 25;
the brush on type. Both in a brush on and pressure casting. Might of been able to wash it off a surface or use thinner ratios but it is not worth the risk for my work flow as your waxes polish by other means so
well.

End of comment.

This brings up 2 points:
1) always test first as there are hundred of products and thousands of possible combinations and so testing them all and reporting them are not possible.

2) use the highest grade alcohol possible as the alcohol and castor oil may want to hold any water present in the alcohol tight. And of course the platinum cure silicones are the most sensitive to this issue.



Mobile: Gary Overman

No comments: